besides me and lauren bitching, the other threads have very low posts..and they're all the same title, "font ID" or similar.

Anyone want to critique my fonts? you guys seem to be experts. besides the technical info (© ETC) what do you think of my first attempt at fonting?

Hey Kirk -

I think that Blog, The Impaler is really great. Very unique, and useful for interesting typography. 3-D is very in right now, as is illustrated. Lovely.

Bowell Beralta is really nice, too.

Santa Carla is great because I used to live in Santa Cruz and it really hits close to home.

The 7th one down is completely illegible at that size.

thanks a lot.

here's a bigger version.

@kirk:This forum needed a little controversy eh?

¿Sure that is what you want Kirk?

Lauren, after food for thought - how about the quiz?

OK Kirk, here you go:

Bowell&beralta: Has potential. Before all, you must do something with the bearings and the WinAscent settings. Also have a look at the LT kerning pair. As is, it is a bit too sketchy to my liking. But I'm sure that when you redraw it with geometric shapes it will find it's use. Question: Why is the lowercase/alternate s not rounded, left bottom?

Nice idea for the ampersand.

You should correct the naming data.

Koobz: Nicely made. Don't know what it could be used for. Maybe rethink the zero and did you notice the irregularity in the $?

Again, the naming.

Captain: Not on Dafont. Probably because there is already another one named Captain there. Not much to add to what you say yourself. But also here there seems to be something wrong with the bearings. On your site it looks better than this pict but still that w.

Quickrite: Also not available for download. No comment, As you say, tons of those around. Yet, if this is how you write then this is how you write.

SantaCarla: This one I really like. I can easily see it being used in a logotype. Just clean it up and you have a potential commercial one. Add the accents and put the alternates in a more logical place or make an alternates. Worthwhile.

Again, the naming.

Take out the garbage: Yes! Please!!

The square thing: Nice as an experiment. Further useless.

Oakland Hills 1991: Not my sort of type but there are surely enough out there who will like it. Have you considered to make the lower case letters a flame fill for the capitals?

Again, the naming.

Apocalypse fax: Reminds me of Crouwel's Stedelijk after a termite attack.

Pee Pants (that started all this): Nice try. Clean it up and people will use it. No need to mumble about the naming, right?

Decco Disco: Not available for download. One of many. Judging on the sample here, little consistency in letter design.

Kitten Meat: What would The Kat think of that?

Blog, the Impaler: Not available for download. Reminds me of the Wedgie.

hey thanks, i cant take full credit for Bowell and Santa Carla.. they're copies of skateboard company logos. which is why the "s" in BB is the way it is.

What is "bearings and the WinAscent settings. and whats a Kerning pair?

thanks!

Kirk,

I would recommend reading a book on typography, it will help you tremendously.

- Cher

Kirk - where can I get blog, the impaler? I could really use it for a project.

email me

Looking for more fonts? Check out our New, Sans, Script, Handwriting fonts or Categories
abstract fontscontact usprivacy policyweb font generator
Processing