reply   forum
    How can I get this look?
    Feb 12th, 2010 / quote / 68.188.*.2*
    uploaded image
    Can anyone tell me how to duplicate this look or get something similar? Is there a program that will achieve this? The swirls around the capital "A" is what I am trying to achieve. Thank you for any help. I am new to the world of fonts.
    site moderator neogrey
    Feb 13th, 2010 / quote / 87.97.*.2*
    Short answer: no. Long answer: this is made in a graphics editing program - Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. You will also need some sort of floral clipart for the swirls. But you must have at least basic graphic editing skills.
    Feb 13th, 2010 / quote / 68.188.*.2*
    Thank you for your very quick reply. I certainly appreciate it. That does clear up some of the mystery for me. I have Photoshop, although I'm not very good at it. But with a lot of time I think I can achieve it. Just wasn't sure where to start, or if there already was a font that had this. Did not want to go through a lot if the work was already done. Thanks again!
    Feb 14th, 2010 / quote / 87.177.*.1*
    uploaded image

    Step 1: get free Swirls, for example from:

    or try to search it on:

    Select a swirl, extract it from the vector graphic color it gray and export it as a raster graphic.
    Later you open a new image in PS and put this swirl in the background.

    Step 2: Take a calligraphic Typeface search the abstractfonts categories subsection script like:

    For this example I used Arioso Bold. Arioso was free available with Star Office 5.1.

    Step 3: Open a new image put the swirl in the background and add a text layer on top off it. Type in your text and add a drop shadow. *EDIT* I used GIMP for this example.

    *Edit* You can use a Gaussian Blur instead of the drop shadow.

    *Edit* In my example the swirl is to dark ...

    Bye bye
    Feb 14th, 2010 / quote / 68.188.*.2*
    Wow!! This forum is awesome! To send me full directions like this is absolutely amazing. You have saved me days and possibly weeks of work as I would have searched and searched and tried everything. Much frustration would have been involved, I'm sure. I started to kind of put it off, waiting for a time when I had LOTS of time to devote to it. But you have spurred me on to get started. I am so amazed at the kindness of people sometimes. Thank you, thank you!
    site moderator neogrey
    Feb 14th, 2010 / quote / 87.97.*.2*
    well, I'm sorry I haven't been as helpful as the guy (or girl) after me. But there's nothing to wonder about the kindness of the people here - when a question is properly constructed, you will definitely get an answer - of course if we have the time :)

    Welcome to our small community
    Feb 14th, 2010 / quote / 87.177.*.1*

    the style of the swirls looks like:
    There are a few free samples available:

    I have noticed this style arising in 2007. Swirl in light gray or pastel shade in the background and a (mostly) calligraphic typeface over it. Typicaly Adobe Illustrator (a vector drawing program) was used for the (print) work. In the given example (the first on the page) you only need to add an ,,effect'' (filter on runtime) on the typeface. XaraLX can do this as well and it's free for Linux. Inkscape can't do this. Photoshop and GIMP will work for screen but not for big format prints. And I hate this style. :-)

    Bye Bye

    Register and/or login to access this feature.


      Forgot password?