In some fonts i've noticed some characters seem to change shape and spacing, depending on the following letter.

Notably with the capital T.

What do you call this and how can this be done in a program like FontCreator?

They don't change place. The bearings keep them fixed in their position. Due to the shape of L and T the distance seems to be larger than with NT for example. Solve it wit making a kerning pair. Goto Format > Kerning > New > L T and adjust.

yea i have no idea what that means.. I set the, i think they're called bearings that make the spacing but its static.

in Arno Pro Regular, if i type Th and Ty the T changes for sure.

Just do what you are being told: Format > Kerning > New > L T and adjust.

Yea I figured it out... that's pretty cool. But I swear the T changes shape in Arno Pro.

Some - better quality - open type fonts will change to an alternate glyph with certain letter combinations to create a better readable/printable output.

Start reading Kirk - and don't stop. There is a lot to be learned. I have the feeling that you are in the phase of wanting to run before you can walk - or crawl for that matter.

Don't give up though. You have entered a fascinating world. On the other hand, be careful - you might end up like me ... fontaholic.

i dont know what you mean about running and walking. I mean I understand there's a ton about creating typefaces that I dont know, but i'm not trying to be elite by any means. I started making fonts so I'd have a font for a project i was working on. Now I'm getting into it but really going into it blind.

I havent decided if i care what you guys here think. And I wouldnt even be thinking about it, or even on this forum if my Pee Pants font hadnt been downloaded 6000 times a day for 2 weeks on dafont.

I didnt choose this, the font downloading community chose it for me.

So, I guess I'm here, not running, but on the font train at 80mph.

I dont know what i'm even talking about.

Looking for more fonts? Check out our New, Sans, Script, Handwriting fonts or Categories
abstract fontscontact usprivacy policyweb font generator
Processing