Anyone know the designer of this font? Need to find out it's history for an Adobe Illustrator Class. Thanks

Designer is unknown. In itself no wonder if one makles a straight forward copy of a font (the Coronet), throws some hearts around the caps and then claims it to be a new design ...

Back in 1995, we needed a special "lovely" font for our "Fiolex Home Studio", a small, low-cost, home-publishing software like Corel's Print House. The idea was to create a romantic, elegant script font with some hearts in it. So "Fiolex Girls" was born, and was probably one of the first fonts with embedded hearts, if not the very first one.

We were in hurry (one week later and our publisher would have killed us) and had no time to create a completely new font. So we based "Fiolex Girls" on an existing font, that had no copyright restrictions (not Linotype's Coronet, it was delivered with an old Corel Draw! version, if I remember right, the software we used to create the font, btw.), creating the new heart characters, adding accents and improving here and there. At that time, a legal (if not prohibited by individual copyright terms) and common praxis, used even by official font manufacturers. Adobe has also a font very similar to Linotype's Coronet, btw. The original designer of this font family was Robert Hunter Middleton (†1985).

We dont claim "Fiolex Girls" to be a completely new design, but we can claim it to be one of the oldest and first heart-fonts. And: back in 95, not everyone was able to create fonts and publish them on the net. It was not so simple, far away from "throws some hearts around the caps" ;-)

Anyway, who cares. We are glad, we are making so many people happy with that font, even if it was never intended to make it free downloadable. It seems, that some Home Studio buyer were so fascinated about it, that they spread it over the whole world. Honestly, we never thought, this font would have that success.

So, if you like it: enjoy! :)

p.s. please excuse my bad english

@Fiolex Software: ... The idea was to create a romantic, elegant script font with some hearts in it ... and had no time to create a completely new font. ... So we based "Fiolex Girls" on an existing font, that had no copyright restrictions (not Linotype's Coronet, it was delivered with an old Corel Draw! version ...

So you took Bitstream's Ribbon 131 Bold from the Corel Draw 4 CD. No copyright restrictions? Sure? Very sure?

How about this?

And not Linotype Coronet? Remember where Bitstream ''found' all their fonts those years? Ooops ...

@Fiolex Software: ... adding accents and improving ...

Adding accents? I only see deletions. Is that improving?

@Fiolex Software: ... Adobe has also a font very similar to Linotype's Coronet, btw. ...

Remember who bought the Linotype library?

@Fiolex Software: ... back in 95, not everyone was able to create fonts and publish them on the net. It was not so simple ...

That is true ... Not everyone ... But it was as simple as it is today. Remember Ipswitch's WS-FTP? 1992.

@Fiolex Software: ... So, if you like it: enjoy! :) ...

Not to worry. It is liked: Rating: 80.9% Downloads: today 19, yesterday 31

@Fiolex Software: ... p.s. please excuse my bad english ...

Also not to worry, better than mine :)

@Judy Heard:Anyone know the designer of this font? Need to find out it's history for an Adobe Illustrator Class. Thanks

Well Judy, better late than never ... but probably too late. But at least you now have the complete history.

@koeiekat:So you took Bitstream's Ribbon 131 Bold from the Corel Draw 4 CD. No copyright restrictions? Sure?...

Don't really remember. Probably, but could even be that we used a clone from a shareware CD. It's not an excuse, but at that time we started just from scratch, and we were an absolutely chaotic party of a few crazy guys with no organization at all. Way too long ago to say who did what and how. However, I remember we used Corel for font creation (don't remember the version though, something between 3 and 6). The printed manual included 2 or more pages of detailed instructions how to edit and create fonts, and there was also a text passage mentionning the editing and changing of the Corel fonts, plus a note with the embedding restrictions. We didn't see any written restrictions concerning the use of Corel fonts as base for new ones. We would never had used them, if we had found such notes.

Maybe we made a mistake (and many other too), but the whole copyright thing was a grey zone at that time, and the lack of clearly defined rules didn't help at all. Many things have changed the past years, regarding copyright and trademark questions, using and publishing or sharing images, photos, music, logos, signs a.s.o.. Many things you used to do 10-15 years ago, you will never do again those days, unless you like legal disputes. And I don't.

N.B. starting with version 7 of Corel, there is no more detailed information in the printed manuals or in the helpfiles concerning the editing, changing and creating of fonts (except a short reference). The license and copyright info regarding images, clipart and other content are also lots more detailed and restrictive than in older versions.

@koeiekat:...And not Linotype Coronet? Remember where Bitstream ''found' all their fonts those years?...Remember who bought the Linotype library? ...

Sorry, didn't know. Companies change too often hands those days, to be all the time up to date...

@koeiekat:...Adding accents? I only see deletions. Is that improving?

Your point, my fault. Seeing the screenshots, I must say, in that case you're right. My excuses. As i wrote: we had a bit more to do than creating this font. But I will be glad to change that. Give me 2 weeks and you get a brandnew 100% original Fiolex Girls II. Is that a good deal?

@koeiekat:...That is true ... Not everyone ... But it was as simple as it is today. Remember Ipswitch's WS-FTP? 1992.

You had not that many tools with all that functionality. Nope, dont remember. But 92 I used "Mirage" to draw my first cartoon clipart, spending so most of my free time at office (could not afford an own copy, was more expensive than a car).

@koeiekat:Not to worry. It is liked: Rating: 80.9% Downloads: today 19, yesterday 31

As I wrote, we are all really surprised about that success. Especially cause it was only intended to be a nice-to-have extra in a decent but limited software. Let's see, if we can beat it with the new version. March 26. Guaranteed.

@koeiekat: Also not to worry, better than mine :)

Thanks, too nice, but dont be so sure ;-)

As I am a curious Kat I paid you guys a visit and had a look at the fonts you give away. Could not help to notice that the Fiolex Girls/Coronet thingie was not an exception. Here you go:

Artist = Impress

Atelier = FoxScript

Boys = Kids (Corel name)

Castle = Mister Earl

Compact = Badloc (Corel name = Bedrock)

Digital = LCD

Fineliner = Tekton

Fleur = Uechi Gothic, lower case replaced by Wedding Text

Gothic = Mariage

Handscript = Freehand 575 BT

Imperial = Engravers Roman

News = Antique Olive Nord/Inciced 901 Nd BT

Noblesse I can not trace (yet). The E and L look like being modified. Is the whole thing slanted?

OldScript = Flemish Script

Plant = Elzevier Caps wit Times New Roman for the lower case

Princess = Murray Hill ((Why that strange E? Half mirrored F, half mirrored L ... and that Z, why kill that beautiful Z?)

Roman Outline = Caslon Openface

Spotmarker = (based on) Pen Tip Bold

Yes. Some have some modifications. But it is indisputable where they come from ...

Must I also look at the new Mephisto? Somehow looks familiar ...

Oh, yes, few thingies on the site - English: past tense of send is sent.

@koeiekat:As I am a curious Kat...

Oh, curious cats. Have 7 (6 of them adopted streetcats) here, making my dogs and me crazy...

Were totally 20 fonts, and all has been explained. I respect your involvement and thank you for this dispute. You helped me avoid making the mistake to give away those old fonts. That said, I removed them all, and will replace them with new, redesigned versions. Not much I can do against Fiolex Girls though, aside from spreading out a new version and hoping, people will appreciate this more than the old one.

Concerning Fiolex Mephisto: Feel free to do so, it's handmade and nothing to hide here. I needed a "mythical" character set, and "Morpheus" (beautiful font) didn't really match, so I created this font. Well. And while searching for my font on your site (after having submitted it), I found - surprise! - another one, with the same name, and - surprise no 2 - similar spikes and base ideas. You can believe or not, never seen that font before. Guess the other author had the same inspiration (I love the whole Mephisto thing, and I love all medieval/mythical stuff). I'm a bit concerned, but I don't see problems here: similar ideas based on old scripts, but implementation and design are definitely different. The only thing that may be an issue, are the similar names. Surfed the net for more info about that, and it seems that there are no problems, as long as one of the names is not trademarked. You are really involved in such font things, so your opinion would be very appreciated.

Quick question at the end: how it comes, that your character map doesn't show a part of the extended chars? FM works fine on Windows systems (not tested on Mac though, and not using a professional font creation tool), system compatibility / code page issues?

Btw. Thank you also for the sended-sent-thing. Corrected. I know, the english site has a few of such errors, but we're not the biggest company here.

I hope, we can end that dispute now, and start a "friendly relationship". I'm aware of some mistakes, and I'm correcting them. Nobody is perfect, with no exception. If you feel, you have to drop the fonts from your site, I understand. Let me know and I will also close my account.

Looking for more fonts? Check out our New, Sans, Script, Handwriting fonts or Categories
abstract fontscontact usprivacy policyweb font generator
Processing