Font Identification Request: Not resolved

g'day all,

the internet has failed me so far on this one - I'm looking for a font that matches the way ship's names are painted on their hull. I have no doubt that there are plenty of variations, but the image I've uploaded is typical. Note the flatttened O & S characters, and the generally bold nature of the font. I've tried elsewhere to ID it with no luck. Any help much appreciated, as I'd really like to use it on a CD cover and I don't have the experience in making my own fonts.

So sorry Chris, can't find a match for S R O and K. Don't know where this pict came from but it looks like the letters are not just painted but also seem to have some depth. If that is so they may have been welded on and pre cut and then we are looking at a CAM machine 'font' which will make it even harder to find a match.

Sorry again but you can't win'm all ...

Just recently I found a font for one person who requested a railroad font. I think, it comes pretty close to that on your sample. (exept a sparky serifs that it has).

Take a look: Pennsylvania Wayside(Large Caps shown on the image).

HTH

The font is from the side of the Sebarok Spirit of course ;)

Found at stock xchange: http://www.sxc.hu/photo/178593

Another good example is the Frontier Angel:

http://www.sxc.hu/photo/662389

There is really good correlation between the two, which reinforces my belief that there is some standard. Of course, there are plenty which are different too!

Looks like I'll have to make my own font - if I have any luck, you'll see it up here :)

I'm afraid the Frontier Angel text is a bit too small.

Did you view the full size photo?

Anyway - I found a good basis for modification in "New Media", found at www.dafont.com in the Sans section. Even the Fett (bold) version is a little skinny, but once the characters are bulked up I'd say it's 95% there.

@chris:Did you view the full size photo?

No. Access denied ...

@chris:Anyway - I found a good basis for modification in "New Media", found at www.dafont.com in the Sans section. Even the Fett (bold) version is a little skinny, but once the characters are bulked up I'd say it's 95% there.

That, Chris, is a terrific find. It slipped trough because of the low matching rate. The Sample S is a reconstruction of the S in your sample.

But see, as you say, what a little modification can do:

Top your sample after perspective correction

Middle NewMedia Fett at 72 pt with a +10% kerning

Bottom NewMedia Fett at 72 pt with a +10% kerning and a 6 pixel outline

In your case I would happily accept the different K.

And see, modifying the NewMedia Fett just a bit produces this.

Excellent work, koeiekat- THANKS! I've got to say, it took a long time trawling through fonts to find something close, and it's nice to see a very decent result with an outline and some pinching :)

By the way, I heartily recommend signing up to the stockxchng site. Free (amateur) stock photography, much of it very high quality with an excellent tagging & indexing system.

cheers!

As you see it can easily be modified into the weight you want. Sample 'Copy of ...' took a few minutes.

Looking for more fonts? Check out our New, Sans, Script, Handwriting fonts or Categories
abstract fontscontact usprivacy policyweb font generator
Processing