Font Identification Request: Resolved

Sorry, took awhile to scan a jpeg. Please help me identify this font. All artwork has been lost from original order.

It's called Ariston.

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/berthold/ariston-bq/

Thank you Mr. McGee. I had no idea there were so many different fonts! Just before you emailed me a friend called and identified this font as "Brochure". Have you ever heard of such a font? Rosalyn

Hello Rosalyn. Yes, it's possible that there is a similar or "cloned" font with a different name. The only font called Brochure I know about is by Corel but it differs from your sample. That doesn't mean there isn't a Brochure that looks like Ariston somewhere out there! I just don't know how you would find it though!

Thank you for your reply

When URW packaged it years ago - they gave it a name of Aritus - and they made AritusD-Bold and AritusD-ExtraBold as well as the AritusD-Regular.

The only font I know named Brochure was a font that was a ripoff of Book Jacket - another nice face...

The other way round, I think, Heron. Book Jacket is exactly the same as the Corel Brochure vv. But look at the Book Jacket version string:

Converted from C:\TEMP\BROCHURN.TF1by ALLTYPE

KK - Book Jacket was a typositor font - long before there was a Corel...

It was also the base of the Holiday Inn handtailored logo - again, way before Corel was around... LOL

What a difference a space can make. You are right - of course you are ;) - Visual Graphics Corporation, 1972, designer U. Suess. Later ICG 1992.

So I guess what happened is that Corel bought a licence from ICG, digitized it and bundled it with Corel Draw as the Brochure.

Then later someone renamed Brochure back to Book Jacket - with a space.

Thanks.

Question

Are you sure they bought a license?

In the USA in the late '80s the high courts determined that if you change 3 characters on a font - it was a new font. Many did, and in the process changed the names of the fonts.

If they were truly licensed the name would have remained Book Jacket. See what I mean?

BTW - I believe Soft Key or one of the others who stole all the fonts and renamed them - may have been the source of the Corel - and if you notice, Corel doesn't give those fonts out anymore...

I once read that, but can't remember where and when. It is in the USA not uncommon to rename a font even if you have a licence to resell. See Bitstream eo.

Did Corel stop bundling fonts with Draw? I don't know. Maybe with version X3 but they were there with version 12.

CorelDraw 12 Product Features:

* Design suite for illustration, page-layout vector drawing, and more; includes CorelDraw Graphics 12, Corel Photo-Paint 12, and Corel R.A.V.E. 3

* Over 10,000 professional clipart images; 1,000 TrueType and Type 1 fonts; and 1,000 photos and objects are included

etc

About the US High Court ruling; the trouble is a bit in the difference in copyright interpretation in the USA and over here. Here a digital type is nothing else than a way to reproduce a type and the intellectual property lies with the actual designer or the legal entity that the copyright has been transferred to. The interpretation of a design is what it looks like. Not how it is constructed.

With you a digital type design is considered as software (the code). Difference in rendering the glyphs is considered a different type (font) and the copyright is in the code and the name. A letter is a letter and you can not copyright the shape. I remember someone then making the remark that the judges could not see the difference between a Helvetica and a Times.

Funny thing is, try to use/sell a digital version of a Disney figure. Prepare for a huge traffic jam of gray suits on your doorstep.

The remarks you remember of the judge - came from me. I will never forget the TANY (Typographic Assoc. of New York) meeting I attended when that ruling came down. We were all in shock.

What is copyrighted is the way the font is made - the software for it - and how it is placed on a disk.

And KK - when you license a font - you MUST keep the original name -- you are NEVER given permission to rename it. That, btw, is one of the advantages of really licensing the font...

Corel still bundles fonts - but they are now legitimate ones for Corel to bundle. (They had many illegal fonts to, um... sort out...)

@Heron2001:The remarks you remember of the judge - came from me. I will never forget the TANY (Typographic Assoc. of New York) meeting I attended when that ruling came down. We were all in shock.

And so the circle closes. Small world.

The fonts now bundled with Draw X3 are all BT I just found.

Looking for more fonts? Check out our New, Sans, Script, Handwriting fonts or Categories
abstract fontscontact usprivacy policyweb font generator
Processing