reply   forum
    re: Second Life logo
    site moderator koeiekat
    Mar 10th, 2007 / quote / 88.11.*.2*
    Found none that are a perfect match. There are 3 around that come close, the Fago Normal Black Caps (Ole Schaefer, 1999) and the Meta Bold Caps (Erik Spiekermann, 1991), both available at FontFont.com and the BlissCaps ExtraBold (Designed by Jeremy Tankard for Agfa Division Bayer Corporation. The year says 1996 but the date has probably been tampered with) which is very much like the Meta, though not a clone and runs a bit wider.
    All 3 are fine for 'Life', but all 3 fail for 'Second'; not matching the S, c and d.
    MrMcGee
    Mar 10th, 2007 / quote / 217.34.*.1*
    Another possibility is... use DIN for the whole thing! I don't think DIN 1451 is that heavy*** so you would need to add weight and cut the corners off for LIFE of course.

*** Edit: or FF DIN which has loads of weights.
    tyfafo
    Mar 10th, 2007 / quote / 82.240.*.1*
    So they used a font for each word...
    Which other one would go for "second" ?
    site moderator koeiekat
    Mar 10th, 2007 / quote / 88.19.*.5*
    @tyfafo: ... Which other one would go for "second" ?
    That's why I didn't find the Fago, Meta or Blisscaps to be a real match. Look at the e in Second, it is the same as in Life. So there should be something else around. But did not find it. So sorry.
    site moderator Schwalbenkoenig
    Mar 11th, 2007 / quote / 91.142.*.1*
    I think we all agree that those "strange" angles at the bottom type looks "Spiekerman'ish". So I'd through in Officina with a clipped I. For the top one I think, as Mr. McGee those DINrelated are the point.
    site moderator koeiekat
    Mar 11th, 2007 / quote / 88.11.*.8*
    Good! Here we have another one that has the potential to turn into something interesting. I'll be back.
    site moderator koeiekat
    Mar 12th, 2007 / quote / 88.16.*.1*
    uploaded image
    This one drives me crazy.

The BlissCaps is out because of the capital L and as with the Fago and Meta because of the angle of the cuts and because there is no weight that matches this logo exactly.

McGee's FF Din solution is very tempting. Indeed. That is on this small image. But on a larger image the FF DIN that comes closest - the FF DIN Bold - shows no match. Although, for c, o and d very - VERY - close. The S I consider, although similar, out of the question. The e and n are no match. As you can see on the pict they also seem to be a bit bolder than the rest of Second.

The OfficinaSans suffers from the same problems as the Meta, Fago and BlissCaps. Too bold or too narrow and clipped under a different (Spiekerman) angle.

So, do I have a solution? No. Does this worry me? Yes. Because the way Second Life started does not suggest that a specially designed logo was used. A logotype, yes, maybe even mixing two fonts. Anything is possible. But I think the F and the E (twice) are key. I'm afraid this one will keep me out off the alley for a while.
    Jr200002
    Jan 27th, 2012 / quote / 86.26.*.1*
    FF meta book and FF meta bold by Erik Speikermann are the fonts used here. That is all.
    espiekermann
    Jan 27th, 2012 / quote / 70.231.*.2*
    FF Din (probably condensed a little) and FF MetaBold. They even bought a license.
    valentiles
    Jan 30th, 2012 / quote / 12.167.*.1*
    Does anyone have DIN-Regular that they could email to me?
    Jr200002
    Jan 30th, 2012 / quote / 86.26.*.1*
    valentiles
    Jan 30th, 2012 / quote / 12.167.*.1*
    THANK YOU!!!
    espiekermann
    Jan 30th, 2012 / quote / 70.231.*.2*
    I am surprised how careless you are. I am typedesigner and make my living designing type, obviously. And here you are, asking someone to steal a font and send it to you. Whoever has FF DIN, only has a license for her-or himself and cannot simply pass it along. Fonts are not copy-protected, but it is still unfair to the original designer to rip-off his work. What would you say if I stole your artwork and sold it to one of my clients?
    Jr200002
    Aren't you, in fact, the designer of FF DIN, Mr. Spiekermann?

I gave him the fontfont link on the basis that I know it's not on MyFonts, hoping he'd buy it rather than steal it.
    espiekermann
    I designed FF Meta, amongst others. And i am the founder of the FontFont label which publishes FF DIN, designed at my request by Albert Jan Pool.
    Jr200002
    Ah yes, that's right. Seems I forgot which FF it was.

In any case. I directed him to FontFont, so hopefully
    he'll buy a license.
    tyfafo
    Jan 30th, 2012 / quote / 82.240.*.1*
    Hey I'm tired of receiving notifications, so take your discussion somewhere else.
    espiekermann
    or you switch off notifications
    tyfafo
    Jan 30th, 2012 / quote / 82.240.*.1*
    noe
    site moderator Schwalbenkoenig
    Jan 31st, 2012 / quote / 78.142.*.1*
    Valentiles: We don’t send fontfiles, especially no commercial ones. Please respect the work of typedesigners.
    valentiles
    Jan 31st, 2012 / quote / 12.167.*.1*
    I was not asking to steal a font. I did not know it was a commercial font. I need it - that's all. Now that I know I have to buy it, I will. Calm down. I never said "please send me a font for free even though I know that I should pay for it". My file tell me I am missing a font, so I did a search for it and this forum came up. I have respect for the work of typedesigners. Don't act like there aren't a TON of free fonts out there. It was not that profound of a request for someone that was unaware that DIN is a copyrighted font. I will go buy it. Jr200002 told me this in his simply nice response 10 responses ago, and he didn't need to make me feel like an ass either. Geez people
    espiekermann
    Jan 31st, 2012 / quote / 70.231.*.2*
    Most people steal fonts out of ignorance, not because they're criminals. The damage is the same.

I'm glad to hear that you are one of the good guys, willing to learn and even admit your mistake. Lots of people are not as nice as you, which explains my reaction.

Thanks for your reply.
    tyfafo
    Jan 31st, 2012 / quote / 82.240.*.1*
    valentiles
    tyfafo - this makes me want to post more - FYI
    valentiles
    for no reason
    valentiles
    just because
    valentiles
    you aren't very nice
    tyfafo
    you're a **** with no respect for the netiquette

edited kk
    espiekermann
    Jan 31st, 2012 / quote / 70.231.*.2*
    tyfafo:
    It's obvious that your choice of words alone mean that you have no idea what netiquette actually means.
    tyfafo
    the font has been identified years ago, yet you took it off topic and as the OP I asked you to stop but you continued, so you ******

edited kk
    valentiles
    ha - you angry lil man
    tyfafo
    you *****, you think every web page is your playground

you disrespect me and other posters, that's why I can disrespect you at my turn

edited kk
    valentiles
    nope - i had one question - followed by a "thank you" - you chose to be rude
    Jr200002
    Jan 31st, 2012 / quote / 86.26.*.1*
    @valentiles Do not feed the troll.
    valentiles
    lol - i can't help it
    tyfafo
    you're the *****, it's only because there are no competent moderators that you're allowed to behave like this

edited kk
    site moderator koeiekat
    Feb 1st, 2012 / quote / 83.34.*.8*
    tyfafo has been banned.
    site moderator koeiekat
    Feb 1st, 2012 / quote / 83.34.*.8*
    @ Ed Spiekerman

Ed, niemand heeft in dit draadje een link naar een een ilegale download gegeven. De enige links zijns naar myfonts en fontfont en daar kan je toch geen probleem mee hebben neem ik aan.

Links naar ilegale downloads worden altijd gewist. Dat wil zeggen zodra we ze zien. Maar, als vrijwilligers, we zitten niet dag en nacht naar het scherm te staren. OK?
    espiekermann
    Feb 1st, 2012 / quote / 70.231.*.2*
    @koeiekat
    Ik ben niet Ed, maar Erik Spiekermann van Duitsland.
    espiekermann
    ilegale downloads

That’s not what i objected to, but the naive post “can someone email me the font” which is asking not for an illegal download, but an equally illegal mail off your site.

Glad it turned out the way it did.
    espiekermann
    Maar, als vrijwilligers, we zitten niet dag en nacht naar het scherm te staren. OK?

Dat weet ik well. Bedankt.
    site moderator koeiekat
    Feb 2nd, 2012 / quote / 83.34.*.8*
    @erik spiekermann:@koeiekat
    Ik ben niet Ed, maar Erik Spiekermann van Duitsland.

Entschuldigung :)
    espiekermann
    Feb 2nd, 2012 / quote / 70.231.*.2*
    kein problem ;-)
    site moderator koeiekat
    Feb 2nd, 2012 / quote / 83.34.*.8*
    Filth from France (82.240.216.19) deleted.
    valentiles
    Feb 2nd, 2012 / quote / 12.167.*.1*
    Sooooooo, now that I see DIN - I am thinking that it might be a different font. I uploaded it to a new thread - if anyone could help me? Thank you!
    espiekermann
    Feb 2nd, 2012 / quote / 70.231.*.2*
    there are many versions of Din out there, FF Din being the one with most weights. Adobe has the original version and Linotype have a new one as well. And then it looks like they changed a few things, like make the terminal on the E oblique to match Meta, etc. A little condensing or expanding will also make the outlines not match the original. But the basis of SECOND is definitely one of the DINs.

Register and/or login to access this feature.

Register

Name
    Email
    Password

Login

Email
    Password
      Forgot password?