Font Identification Request: Resolved

Hello...I'm looking for a free font similar to Algerian. I especially like the shape of the "A". I would like it to not have the second shadow line.

Thanks..

~Joanne F.

Interesting:

http://www.free-fonts.com/font/algerian_ttf.html

and it says - No Free Fonts Found

well, maybe because it is a commerical font - that one pays for and doesn't try to steal?

I'm sorry...that is not my intent...to steal...Obviously, there are many similar fonts, both free and commercial. And there seem to be many similar requests as mine...which aren't being reprimanded for their request.

My apologies to all. No intent to offend.

Hi Joanne, Ive had a quick look around and havent seen anything that is similar to 'Algerian'. Looks like if you need it you will have to buy it (OUCH!).

Heron2001:- Well up on the moral high ground!

As I read it, Joanne did not ask for a free copy of 'Algerian' but asked for a "free font similar to Algerian" Didnt appear to me to be wanting and or asking to steal it.

Also as she correctly pointed out there are many requests posted on this site that are similar and do not receive the same reaction.

Bit harsh dont you think? Maybe an apologie might be nice.

Regards

Gary

Thank you, Gary...

I must admit, I was a bit upset by the response by Heron2001. That was my first request. As I said and you pointed out, I was looking for similar font, which I didn't think was out of line as many are doing the same thing...seems to be the point of the forum.

And, my apologies if I incorrectly used an image to show an example of the font I was interested in. Being my first post, It's seems I'm may be ignorant of correct protocol. I'm going to read the forum tutorial.

Regards,

~Joanne F.

Now, let's be fair Heron. as softlad already pointed at, Joanne did not really ask for the Algerian for free, did she? She asked for something similar. In fact she is looking for something similar to the Algerian Basic/Plain.

This is a rare request. Very rare. No-one ever wants that one. Everyone always wants the fancy version. Maybe that is why it has never been copied.

If $20 is too much and Joanne can live with the fancy version with the shadow line - or is willing to just remove these lines there is ample choice. There are a number that come close to very close to the Algerian.

Closest first: the Algiers by Corel which came for free with the Corel Draw trial version and the Tangiers by Bay Animation, a bit on the rough side on the shadow line but for the rest an almost exact copy of the Algiers. Very small difference in aspect ratio with the Algerian.

Also close - but not that close is one font that lives under three names the Albania, Algeria and Lynwood which has capitals and numbers only. The Algeria and the Lynwood are by A.Carr. The Albania has all info removed. Probably censored in the years of the cold war.

Then we have one with very rudimentary shadow lines that lives under two names, the AlgerikaDB by Christine Maurerkircher und Rainer Grunert RWE alias Christine Mauerkirchner alias Rainer Grunert alias PrimaFonts alias ClassicFontCorporation, USA RWE and the Aventure Normal by Star Division GmbH.

Noticed the tiny difference between the Algerian and the AlgerianD?

Yes - AlgerianD has more points to make the curve.

AlgerianD is a URW font - and they were created with special software... very complex - never sold very well... but could create the best kerning situations possible.

That and because they worked from original drawings is why I prefer URW. Yet, the Algerian (without the D) sample is also URW - be it an older version.

Well...you guys are interesting...but your remarks are way over my head!

I will tell you what I want. I have a small "commercial" embroidery biz...just starting out. My software is able to take a font (fonts that are istalled in Windows XP and free fonts I've downloaded) and turn it into an embroidery stitch. Just type the words, set some some parameters, and you have a font made into embroidery stitches.Generally, the simpler, the better. With the Algerian font, I just like the way the "cross-member" part (don't know the correct term is ) on the "A" is shaped. I just like the overall look of the font. I've seen it used in some finished embroidery designs and it it very sharp. Purchasing it is not a problem...there are so many free ones out there, I just thought I'd ask.I'm just not savy about the world of fonts and forums!

I have a wonderful Siamese cat named "Eddy"...

Thanks for the interesting reading...

~Joanne F.

Hi Joanne, like you, I too have an embroidery business; we also do thermal printing, sublimation and just looking to get into screen-printing as well. I use Adobe CS2 and sometimes when I need to I mess with the fonts in Illustrator to achieve what I want (For thermal printing).

I also always try and use FREE FONTS!

Re' the automatic font setting on your software for embroidery. I would digitise the font myself, it gives you more control over what you’re stitching. It’s quite easy to do if you use column stitch with normal fill inclinations, you can adjust the density as you require. I would suggest that you type something out in your 'autofont' and then look at it in edit mode to see how the letters are digitised and apply that to what you want in the 'Algerian' font.

Koeiekat, thanks for the info, I can generally find similar fonts to the commercial ones but on this occasion I couldn’t, the only thing that I could get was 'Algerian'. (Always nice to have an alternative.)

Regards

Gary

P.S. Joanne, I also have to admit that whilst I understand some of what Koeiekat was explaining, most of it is a little above my head as well! (The fonts looked very very similar to me)

@softlad:... (The fonts looked very very similar to me)

Yes, they look alike but the line and curve points show that none is a clone of the original Algerian - although 2 are very close - and show which ones are exactly the same. Which, for some of the variations, is more difficult to tell from this pict.

Looking for more fonts? Check out our New, Sans, Script, Handwriting fonts or Categories
abstract fontscontact usprivacy policyweb font generator
Processing