Hello all!

I'm writing a 300-pages resumee and I need to choose wich font to use. I want something formal but with that touch of design that makes all the difference.

Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

As a person who works in human resources i would suggest sticking to the plainer fonts as fancy is too much like hard work to read. If you want something slightly different try goudy oldstyle. Stay clear of any caligrapy styles as you may find your resume ends up in the trash.

Good luck

300-pages???

!!!

?!?!?!?

:-)

In my Country (Portugal) and where I work (health service) people are very old-fashioned about resumees.

They must include everything from elementary school and a description of every scientifical activity...

Goudy oldstyle is OK, but I will search a little for something with more stylish and modern look.

Popular are Frutiger, Myriad, Helvetica, Minion and many more.

If you want a more unique look try Dax(line), PMN Caecilia, Eidetic or Serus for a semi-serif which isn't Rotis.

For a 300 pages resumee I would only recommend commercial fonts, as here you are relativley sure, that there are no problems with kerning and printing. But if you don't want to spend any money have a look in the Sans or the Serif section and take something with at least 3 weights. Example: M+2p regular.

Or have a look at Fonce Sans, looks interesting although just one weight.

That's exactly what I wanted. Now I have some fonts to choose from! Thanks for the advice.

Scratching the sofa, I've been staring at this for quite a while. I am fully with Tashini Jones.

@Tashini Jones: ... I would suggest sticking to the plainer fonts as fancy is too much like hard work to read. ... Stay clear of any calligraphy styles as you may find your resume ends up in the trash.

First of all, and far more important than anything else, if you are to submit a three hundred [I thought I spell it out] pages résumé - that is a book - the typeface you use must be legible. Very legible. And with this amount of text that almost outrules any design-like type. In my opinion - with this amount of text - it also outrules sans-serifs.

I am with the Swallow when he suggests types with a rather high x-height, giving you the possibility to use a [slightly] condensed face so you don't have to go under 11 points - without adding even more pages yet still maintaining legibility.

"formal but with that touch of design"? There are many. I'll do one suggestion, the Salernomi J by Julius Thyssen. Freeware, yet well designed for a change. Follow the download link and get the TTF pack [and whatever else you like on that page].

I also think that more important than the type you choose, is the page lay-out. Choose your margins carefully, justify the text and try to avoid line lengths of more than 2/3 of the page width - as if you are inviting the reader to use the margin for notes.

To quote Tashini Jones again; Good luck!!

Hello all!

After reviewing what you said, I went for Myriad. It may not be the easiest to read but my pages have a lot of tables, drawings, etc, so I think it won't look too "heavy". The looks of it are exactly what I was searching for.

Thanks a lot! I think I'm becoming another "font-addicted" as I go through the pages of this forum!

@Riqui: ... I think I'm becoming another "font-addicted" ...

Another font-junk!! Welcome.

@koeiekat:And with this amount of text that almost outrules any design-like type. In my opinion - with this amount of text - it also outrules sans-serifs.

Yepp, agreed, dear KKat. But Riqui wanted some modern-looking faces, which - in my opinion - only a few serif-faces provide. But everything else I sign also.

Well, good luck, Riqui, for yourresumee. Bring some Portwine when you have passed the test successfully;-)

@Schwalben Koenig:@koeiekat:[quote] ... Riqui wanted some modern-looking faces, which - in my opinion - only a few serif-faces provide. ...
[/quote]

Sure my friend, but the Kat thinks that is irrelevant. If a resumee is a 300 [not spelled out this time] pages book the only thing that is relevant - and let's talk the shoptalk you ant I know - is that the text is consumable. If it is not, the result is indeed the waste paper basket. Thus, whatever is asked for, in a case like this the type must - MUST - be one that is extremely easy and comfortably to read. Like basically a Century 751 for example. Failing the ease of reading is nothing else as failing to communicate and thus is a useless resumee.

Now you and I - and a lot of others - know that a sans is not the perfect type for running text. For tables fine, for short technical descriptions fine too. But not for page after page after page ... thus?? I can not but advice to use a serif ... or shut up.

So that is why it took me a while to respond. What was asked for may do more damage than good. That is why Tashini Jones advice was so good. That is why I said don't bother too much about the type - bother about the layout. Make it consumable. Or in nowdays speak "fastfood".

Yep, we talk a lot about fonts. But in the end it all boils down to "comunicare necese est".

But then, what does the Kat know about communication? Fails all the time right?

Oh, yes, for heavens sake, start this 300 page resumee with a 2 page executive extract. For that is what people will read, Whatever the tradition in Portugal or ... for that matter.

Looking for more fonts? Check out our New, Sans, Script, Handwriting fonts or Categories
abstract fontscontact usprivacy policyweb font generator
Processing