cool

[DEL]

Wow - I think

you are right

:D :D :D

Ute

a sub-set of a typeface.

a question here... what is typeface then? I always think of those two as of mutually interchangable terms... what does typeface include that font doesnt?

Typefaces and (type)fonts are two distinctly different things.

Like a building is a building is a building. What building? What for, what size? what shape?

A typeface is a style of type such as Times Roman or Helvetica, it does not address size or variations like italic or bold.

A font is a subset of a typeface that is a specific size and a specific variant ie; Helvetica Narrow 18 point bold italic is a font as is Helvetica Narrow 18 point bold and so on.

This distinction is very important because it givs us the possibility to point out exactly what we mean. If you say "Times", I think which one? Roman, bold, oblique? What size? For the simple reason that in type not every font (subset) is fit for every use. As a 9 point roman perfectly fit for newspaper print. But muddy on art paper. As a 12 point even unfriendly to the eye. Times Bold same story. Shaped for 12 point newspaper lead text but absolutely unsuitable for headings.

Before fast food arrived and the chef knew what he was serving people that worked with type were -and still are- very concious about this but in the mass consumpion world of the computer type use the differentiation is beginning to blur as so many of us are given the ability to do amazing things with typefaces and the programmers that wrote the software did not know the difference between a building and a building.

OK?

[DEL]

so technically,AF can't be sued if we tell someone where to get a "font" (other than AF) we just can't tell them where to get a typeface. Right??:cool:

The issue is this. With a digitized typeface you cannot distribute a font only a typeface. For the simple reason that the whole subset is available in that typeface.

Alex faces 3 situations. One with the typeface designers who hold the copyright on the actual design which they sell or license to others. For money or for free. Commercial typeface, shareware typeface or freeware. One with the companies that market a typeface and one with his partners in this forum.

The last ones are typeface vendors. I assume they support these sort of forums to stop/limit the unlimited spreading of their sales items. So without any doubt Alex's contract with his sponsors has a clear clause about not making commercial typefaces available other than linking/directing to his sponsors. Fair enough.

The secon ones are the type foundries, Linotype, Monotype, ITC, Bitstream to name a few. These parties do not legally hold the copyright on a typeface (That is with the designer), unless the designer actually sold the copyright. But they do hold the copyright ont the NAME of the typeface .

So we face the odd situation that patent law seems to allow the originator of a typeface to protect the name he chooses to identify his work but he can't protect the actual design. Consequently, everyone is copying typefaces and re-issuing them with a different name. Without consequences if they also change the copyright lines and so in the metrics (This stems from the time of lead letter printing when purchasing font sets of a typeface actually meant buying many kilos of lead and the right to use that lead. (Or Linotype/Monotype matrixes).

They will sue Alex when he makes their typefaces available for free on his site. And they will win. If Alex links to another site, the mere thought behind the hyperlink in the internet, they will sue him too. In that case they will not win. See Napster. But ... they will throw in corporate legal with such force that Alex will be bankrupt before the preliminary proceedings are half way. Which is the whole idea because it is their only possibility to stop the free distribution chain. Again see Napster.

So, when Alex asks to NOT to ([u:cf368bd22a]link[/u:cf368bd22a] to these typefaces please understand.

End of college.

Have fun and ... be nice to the cats

wow... very detailed and informative... and most of all, true... When i first got into fonts, i had no clue that there were so many traps and legal issues... Over 4 years i've been threatened many times though which taught me many things...

Thank you tom-cat!

Where do you get such deep knowledge of the legal aspect of the type industry? ( do you work for one of the big ones by any chance? ;) )

PS im off to the Niagra Falls so i wont be around for a couple of days.... i need a vacation as well ;)

Hmm, type-aholic ... remember?

i've been all-kinds-aholic past 24 hours ;)

Looking for more fonts? Check out our New, Sans, Script, Handwriting fonts or Categories
abstract fontscontact usprivacy policyweb font generator
Processing