reply   forum
    So, now I need some serious help.
    Sejoexternal link
    Feb 26th, 2009 / quote / 91.80.*.1*
    The father of a friend of mine has asked me for some help. He'd like to reprint a book written by his grandfather at the start of the century and he would love to print it exactly like it's been before. Attached you will find a few images.
    Possibly, some of these typefaces have been digitalized.

Thanks for what you could do for me and him.
    Sejoexternal link
    uploaded image
    Author and title.
    Sejoexternal link
    uploaded image
    The publisher.
    Sejoexternal link
    uploaded image
    Roman and italic in the bodytext.
    Sejoexternal link
    uploaded image
    Chapter title.
    site moderator koeiekat
    Feb 26th, 2009 / quote / 83.33.*.1*
    Sergio, I doubt we can find exact matches for (all of) these. Does reasonably close help?
    Sejoexternal link
    Feb 26th, 2009 / quote / 83.224.*.9*
    I guess so. I told them already that an exact match could be impossible given the technology canges in the printing industry. Every suggestion of alternative choices is more than welcome.
    Thank you, Koeiekat.
    site moderator koeiekat
    Not of much help so far I'm afraid. There is one that comes close for the title: the Block (Berthold}. The bad news; I know of no rounded version. Softening the bad news, if it is only for the title it is probably not much work to adapt it for the letters necessary.

We only have an E to go for, but I thing the type used for publisher and body is the same. But I don't get a proper match. I may help if you can make a new scan, 3, 4 times larger, without all that background noise of the roman r and t and the oblique v and G.
    Chapter titles; I don't think it was ever digitized, thus no match. That is for the whole word. for the individual letters there are close ones. Maybe this one can be - sort of - imitated by combining existing fonts. Would need all the letters though ...
    Sejoexternal link
    Feb 26th, 2009 / quote / 83.225.*.1*
    uploaded image
    Thank you nonetheless, Kat. These are the only scans I have so far but a larger scan of the bodytext is already in my hands. I tried to clean it up as much as I could.
    The pages' paper, they said to me, is heavily textured and not white anymore.

Here the 'r' and 't'.
    Sejoexternal link
    uploaded image
    Here the italic 'v' and 'G'.
    Sejoexternal link
    Both are at the largest size I have at 300dpi, as they've sent me.
    site moderator koeiekat
    Segio, is this an open face?
    Sejoexternal link
    I'm sorry, Kat, but I am not sure to get what you mean with «open». Is it like Caslon Open Face, this are you asking me? If so, no.
    A plain font. Badly damaged, I admit, by the time passing by.
    site moderator koeiekat
    A plain font? Sure, but typically of that time. Hand set using worn out lead and printed with ink that was too thin.
    Sorry Sergio, to restore this a much better scan (NOT B/W!) would really help. It must be possible to find an f like this. And please spread the word; using jpg for line art like text gives about the same result as watching the Mona Lisa on 100 km distance on a seriously foggy day. png is the thing! :)
    Sejoexternal link
    Feb 26th, 2009 / quote / 91.80.*.8*
    @koeiekat:A plain font? Sure, but typically of that time. Hand set using worn out lead and...
    Yes :) It's kind of wonderful the way those letters seem to dance on the sheet.

@koeiekat:Sorry Sergio, to restore this a much better scan (NOT B/W!) would really help. It must be possible to find an f like this. And please spread the word; using jpg for line art like text gives about the same result as watching the Mona Lisa on 100 km distance on a seriously foggy day. png is the thing! :)
    The 'f' and the 't' are the most unusual in that typeface, isn't it?
    I'll tell them to rescan in colour and to save as a png.
    Many thanks for your efforts, Kat. ¡Y buenas tardes!
    site moderator koeiekat
    256 colors or gray is ok :)

Register and/or login to access this feature.

Register

Name
    Email
    Password

Login

Email
    Password
      Forgot password?