Does anyone know if there is a reasonable equivalent for Steven Rapp's wonderful font Memoir, or in the alternative a more frugal place to purchase it?

I love it, but $59 for it at Veer is not doable, at least right now.

Cate

$59 may seem a lot of money, sure. But if you consider how small the market is for these type of fonts and how much work is involved in making a font with so many alternates the price is understandable.

And I found no real alternative. If you can live with less - for less money - have a look at the script fonts of Three Islands Press. Freebees of this quality? No luck. But I may very well be wrong.

Well actually, I have no problem with the price of the font (which is gorgeous BTW) - it is just that I can't do it NOW.

Cate

@Catherine Kerr:We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

That must be where I live ... las Villuercas, one of the very few places in Europe free of light pollution, where you can see the Milky Way with the naked eye.

[DEL]

Hey, what a luck: I live in the wild woods of central Italy and I can see the stars too :)

Where is that black spot?

[DEL]

Sixty kilometres north of Rome, between two small mountains.

That little green dot?

[DEL]

Oh, well, I can't say for sure. It could be nonetheless. What I can assure is that on my side of the valley – which is large, say, 1km – there are three or four other villas and on the other side just oaks and wild boars. My side is richer in animals: hedgehogs, badgers, histrixes (?), foxes.

From my land I almost see no electric lights but in the clearer nights very faraway looking toward the Rome's valley. It's still very weird to me. I lived my early years in the very center of Bari – southeastern Italy – and the last twentyfive close to St. Peter's basilica. I often find myself breathless for the view and the darkness. It's really a beautiful thing to get acquainted that other paces of life are possible and actually the world itself has one really different from the one I've used to live.

I just wanted to say thank you for the kind words about my type design Memoir. I agree that the price is a little high compared to many font sites. Value wise I tried to make it a good deal.

Most people, even many designers, don't understand the amount of work involved in a fully featured font. I designed Memoir over the course of almost 3 years. Each letter of the about 500 included, is designed to work and connect with each of the other 500. If you use OpenType savvy apps like Illustrator or InDesign, the code that I wrote will make setting it professionally much easier.

Anyway, I just wanted to acknowledge that you were not advocating piracy or getting it by illegit means. There is almost no one getting wealthy from font sales. I personally only hope to make enough quality fonts to quit my day job.

Stephen

Stephen, Memoir is a gorgeous font, and I do intend to purchase it in a month or three when finances permit. In the interim I am using "Dearest" and "Dearest Swash" which were purchased from P22 a few months ago for another project.

Dearest is a really lovely font. I first saw it at TypeCon in Toronto in 2002. I briefly met Christina Torres, the designer. Most of it came from an old German book.

Thanks for your support.

Stephen

WHY IS THIS SITE STEALING OTHER COPY RIGHTED TYPEFACE???

Happygooberhead, please explain ... and ... please don't shout ...

I just got the email alert that this was posted and hope I didn't lead "happygooberhead" to some unfounded conclusion from a posting on the Typophile Forum.

There was a thread on font piracy and I posted a link here to show that not all free font forums are like that. I was trying to show that there are folks who use free fonts that are honest. So if I unintentionally created an unnecessary controversy... I apologize.

Here is that link: http://www.typophile.com/node/47921

Typophile BTW, is geared for both Type Designers and Typographers. It is a very useful site for anyone contemplating creating their own fonts.

Hi Stephan, you certainly did not intent to - but, yes, you did.

Maybe happygooberhead from New York will be so polite to correct his/her post?

i contacted a moderator at Typophile to ask her to remove that link. Hopefully that won't happen again. Again, I am sorry about that.

No need to remove that link. Nothing wrong with that. This doesn't concern you at all. This is a happygooberhead problem. Nah, a problem, let's say a pest.

Looking for more fonts? Check out our New, Sans, Script, Handwriting fonts or Categories
abstract fontscontact usprivacy policyweb font generator
Processing