[DEL]

I hope someone can help me :D

I am trying to find the font used for the words "Third Man" in the title screen of the film of the same name, seen in this screenshot:

http://www.shillpages.com/movies/thirdman1949ld.gif

I am having problems locating one which has the distinctive T and R especially.

One that is extremely similar would be helpful, and thanks in anticipation for any help you could give me :)

[DEL]

The font used seems to be Perpetua or Lapidary333. This is used for the caps as well as for the italicized "The Third Man" text.

Now for the bad news -- both Perpetua and Lapidary333 are pay fonts only. Perpetua comes with MSWord 2002, I believe, or an earlier version (since I have it). Lapidary333 doesn't come with any packages as far as I know, although Adobe probably markets a version. You can find either font for sale at a number of font sites (fonts.com, myfonts.com, probably here, almost anywhere).

And the worse news -- the "T" and the "r" are customized. As far as I know, there's no version of either font with such uncharacteristic letterforms.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

-- Liana

[DEL]

Liana

Thank you for your help! I don't mind too much if they are pay fonts, so long as they

a/ aren't prohibitively expensive and

b/ do the trick (mostly)

I was afraid that some customisation may have gone on; as they are for some static files, I may have a go at getting up close and personal in Photoshop and pushing a few pixels to recreate the effect.

I notice that most free font sites these days divert one to Fonts.com where every item seems to be in double figures; I guess the world of free fonts is shrinking :)

Thank you for your help once again.

[DEL]

Let me get this straight -- you don't mind paying for a pay font, and you don't mind doing work to get what you want?

You're a newb. But I like it.

I think your sample's closer to Lapidary333 than it is to Perpetua (the "a" tips you off, and Lapidary333 generally has a lot curvier descenders).

The "T" and the "r" will need to be modded, but it won't be too hard -- especially if you're working from the picture you have.

I don't know how much they'll run you, but Lapidary333 will be very useful to recreate the rest of the text in the picture. It looks like you'll need an italic and a smallcaps at the very least.

And no problem on the help. This is fun for me, partly because I'm a very sick person indeed.

If you can't find the fonts you need, you can e-mail me -- lianagoldenquill AT hotmail DOT com. I like your attitude.

[DEL]

Heh heh heh, yes, newb all the way in a font forum. I try to be a perfectionist when it comes to pushing pixels; if you know of the EA/Maxis game "The Sims", I run a fansite where I make user created plugins to specific architectural themes, and I try to use creative fontwork there whenever I can. I had a blast recently trying to recreate the look of some Victorian adverts. I just love fonts, what can I say? (apart from saddo that is) ;)

Whether you know the game or not, if you want a laugh, my site is

http://www.strategyplanet.com/thesims/sas

I need The Third Man fonts for a screen opening shot for a short film my husband is making, so it needs to look good. Thanks for the EMail addy, speak to you soon :)

[DEL]

Hey, if you're a newb to font forums, at least you're not a newb to fonts. I'm always glad to find other people who appreciate them.

And I have heard of "The Sims"; it's one of my favorite computer games. (Have you seen the Sims fonts?) I like your designs, and I'll probably be DLing some of them.

If you were recreating Victorian adverts, did you see Bolton? It's beyond perfect, and freeware too.

Good luck with the perfectionist tweaking and your husband's film. I'm still awaiting your e-mail, but I'll be around whenever you get set up. :)

[DEL]

Gah, I still need to clear my EMail inbox - haven't forgotten at all; but that's a job I do keep putting off.....

The Simbats font and the companion were designed by SM Lust - the same artist who designed my "Bunny Wuffles" logo character :cool: I might have guessed you would have known about the fonts, but I link to his site from my main page where I was *hoping* you would have come across them as a nice surprise. Who on earth was I kidding" :rolleyes: :D

...and NO! Bolton is a new one on me - where can I find it? I tried Googling, but whenever I think I found it, I just keep on getting redirected to Fonts.com where everything is pay.

I have another film-related font query; I'll start a new thread on that one if I may, as it is a different topic. And I MUST get round to cleaning my EMail inbox! :rolleyes:

The whole, extensive, family of the Bolton by PJ Lloyd, can be found on italiasoftware's fontuniverse. Go B search for bolton. Fancyforfonts only has the roman.

Good luck.

[DEL]

The Bolton family are payware?

I found a page -- well-set-up, too, not the look of one that'll be torn down any second -- on which a person who claimed to be the designer offered up the whole family. For free, of course.

Damn, now it's time to get all disillusioned about Human Nature again. Sure, everyone offers fonts for free ("because I know you'll never use it for commercial stuff"), but claiming to be the designer? That's just wrong, wrong, wrong.

I'll go Google it now. Maybe I'm mistaken -- I hope so.

Googled, and found [URL=http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/lloyd/index.htm]the site[/URL]. Still there, still claiming to be him, and I've gotta say it looks genuine. (Select "Bolton" from the upper drop-down to see it in use and DL the *.zip file.)

[DEL]

This is TypOasis. Mecca of the freeware community. If this chap says he's the designer...he probably is.

-T

Sorry folks. I thought by saying that the font was © Paul Lloyd it was clear that Bolton was free.

Looking for more fonts? Check out our New, Sans, Script, Handwriting fonts or Categories
abstract fontscontact usprivacy policyweb font generator
Processing